Set permissions based on a user's allocated Gallery location
If your database uses the Multi-gallery feature, which allows artworks and invoices to be split by location, you are able to customise your users' permissions based on these locations. This guide explains how to limit the Artworks list screen to the Gallery location assigned to your user/s.
Why restrict users' access?
Admin users, who have automatic access to all areas of the database, can restrict users' access to specific Galleries through each user's settings.
This feature allows you to restrict a user's access to the artwork records and invoices in their respective overview screens for the Gallery location allocated to them.
Important warning: This functionality is designed to work as an inventory management aid. It is not designed to draw a hard border for users in your system. There are some areas where it will be possible for users assigned to a single location/Gallery to see other Gallery's artworks such as in PrivateViews and other features that link records in the system.
How to change your users' Gallery location
- Login to your Artlogic database and go to Other > Admin > Users.
- Click on the user you would like to edit.
- Click on the User settings tab.
- Chose the User's Gallery that this user belongs to.
Additionally, to prevent your user from seeing the inventory of a gallery they are not assigned to select 'Only display artwork records relating to the user's gallery' and any other Gallery locations you'd like them to view. Admin users will be able to view all records by default.
Further user Gallery restrictions
Restrict the user's allocation of artworks
This setting is used to ensure the user will not be able to change the Gallery location assigned to artwork records, including new records so that when creating new works they will automatically be added to the Gallery location assigned to the user.
- Go to Other > Admin > Users > click on the user you would like to edit.
- Select the Roles tab.
- Select Do not allow this user to edit the Gallery of artworks.
It is possible to assign contact records to a Gallery location. This is not on by default, so if you are interested in showing a 'Gallery' field in your contact records, do let us know.
Please note: Contact records assigned to a Gallery location will not be hidden from users assigned to other locations. This functionality is only to help manage your Contacts section. It cannot be used to restrict your users' access. If you are interested in applying further restrictions to your users in relation to your Contacts section, check out our Contacts restrictions beta feature.
Important: Where the Multi-gallery user restrictions are not applied
- There is no way yet to set different PrivateViews settings for each Gallery in a Multi-gallery database account.
- For example, if a user who is assigned to a 'London' Gallery has access to Private Views, they will have access to any artwork records that are included in a PrivateView link, regardless of which location the artwork is assigned to. This means they would see any 'New York' artworks will see the London-allocated work too.
- Contact records assigned to a Gallery location will not be hidden from users assigned to other locations. This functionality is only to help manage your Contacts section. It cannot be used to restrict your users' access.