PrivateViews app diagnostic
This article will help you to recognise where the issue is occurring, whether this is a problem that Artlogic can solve and/ or whether this is a hardware, network or IT issue.
Follow these steps
The following steps are helpful if your data (including presentations and artworks) are appearing differently on different devices, the same device at different times, or if the data is not updating as expected.
Struggling to login?
Check out this guide if you can't log in to your account; it will guide explains why entering the wrong password more than 5 times in a row will result in your account being locked for 5 minutes.
If you want to reset your password, do so here: Reset your password
If only one of your devices isn't working...
If you have two or more devices in the same location, using the same WiFi connection and only one is working correctly, this can help us to determine that the problem is unlikely to be your WiFi, your local network, your internet provider, the settings in your Artlogic database, our synchronisation service, or our servers. This leaves connectivity issues on the devices themselves, the app version, the iOS version, the device memory, the settings in the app, and bugs in the app itself.
Use the latest PrivateViews app version
- If you are connected to the internet and there is a new version of the app, it will be shown as an available update here: App Store > Updates.
Reboot the app
- Try hard quitting the PrivateViews app and rebooting the device.
- If you are not on WiFi, you will need to connect.
- If you are using mobile data, you need to turn that on and check that you have not exceeded your plan. Downloading all your PrivateViews data on mobile data is not recommended as it may use a large amount of your data plan.
Use the latest iOS version
- Find out here: Settings > General > About and look for 'Version'.
- Update it here: Settings > General > Software Update.
If your device does not have enough space, you won't be able to download the app. Please check your device's data storage capacity.
- Find out here: Settings > General > About and look for 'Available'.
Check your device's other apps
Are all your other apps working normally, such as Mail or Safari?
- Are you able to download any other free apps from the App Store, e.g. Uber or Google Chrome?
Have you changed anything?
For instance, have you recently updated the iOS, the app or downloaded any very large apps, which could restrict your device's available storage?
Is your iPad or iPhone too old?
Some iPads and iPhones are too old to support the necessary operating system. If the older devices are having the problems downloading or working with the app, it may be time to update your hardware.
- If you suspect this might be causing the problem, send us information on your device and we can advise accordingly.
- To find information on your device, go to Settings > General > About and then please send us the Software version and Model number.
Please visit the Updates page in the PrivateViews app and click Ignored updates at the top right. If any private views are listed here you may need to unignore them.
If the steps above haven't worked
Reload the data
In order to introduce new features, it is sometimes necessary to change the file or data structure on the devices and, although this is normally seamless, it is sometimes helpful to clean install the data. So, if none of the above steps work, you may need to delete and reinstall the app on a device with a problem to see if that resolves the problems.
To delete the app, lightly press on the app icon until it wobbles and press the cross. Then confirm that you would like to delete the app and all data.
Next, visit the App Store on the device and search for ‘PrivateViews’ and download it.
When you open it, you will need to put in the PrivateViews account name and password (please check with your administrator if you don't know these details). Then go to the Updates page and load all the private views.
Get in touch
Hopefully, these steps have shed light on, or at least identified the problem.
If these steps have not helped, please get in touch via the email above. Make sure to be as clear as possible as to the difference between what you are expecting to see (with examples) and what you are seeing instead. It would also be helpful to know the number, location/s and type/s of devices that are not behaving as you would expect and which, if any, are working correctly.