Inconsistencies in artist records in your database can cause the names of artists to show up more than once in places they are shared, such as on your website.
Info: This guide applies to integrated clients only.
What causes this to happen?
Inconsistencies in the way your artists' names or artists' sort names have been entered when adding new artworks in your database, can cause the system to pull up duplicate artists on your website. These can be accidental typos, spelling differences, special characters or even additional spaces.
To ensure consistency, always choose the artist name from the dropdown that pops up in that 'artist' field when creating a new artwork record in your database.
However, if you notice more than one artist record for the same artist on your website, this can be fixed using the following steps.
- Login to your database (app.artlogic.net/accountID)
- Go to Artworks > Views > All (include archived).
- Search the Artist's name > flag all the records that refer to this specific Artist even if the name varies. Remember to clear previously flagged records before beginning.
- Do an Update Multiple with the flagged works > Artwork details > Artist's name > update the 'Artist's name' and 'Sort artist as' fields >Update:
- Go to the Artists > search the specific Artist and check that there is only one, if not delete the incorrect one/s.
Update Artist's name on the Website
- After completing the steps above, wait for up to 30 minutes for the sync to happen.
- Login to you website CMS.
- Go to Records > Artists > search the Artist and see which records do not have the correct name:
- Edit the records and check if the incorrect records have important information about the Artist in question (e.g. biography, date of birth, photos). If so copy that information and paste it to the correct record.
- Delete the records that do not have the same details as the ones updated in your database.
- Once this has been done you should not have any duplicate records.
- If you ever decide to make a change to the name of the Artist you should do so by going to the Database > Artworks > Update Multiple > Artist's name and Sort > then going to the Website > Artists > changing the current Artist's name.