Two-factor authentication (2FA) is a way of logging into websites or online systems that require more than just a password. Using a password to log into a website is susceptible to security threats, because it represents a single piece of information a malicious person needs to acquire. Two-factor authentication provides increased security by requiring additional information to sign in, and is a requirement for all database accounts.
Artlogic offers two methods of two-factor authentication: Email 2FA and App 2FA.
Email Two-Factor Authentication
Email is the default method for two-factor authentication.
Before you can log in with email 2FA, we will need to make sure that the email address you are using is valid, and that you have access to it. The next time you attempt to log in, you will be required to verify your email. You are also able to change the email address associated with your login via the verification screen. (Note: if you need to change your email address in the database after it has been verified, this will need to be done by an admin user.)
Steps to verify the email after the initial setup
- The next time you go to log in to your Artlogic Database, enter your credentials as you normally would and select ‘Sign in’.
- Enter your email address and select ‘Verify Email’. You will receive an email like the one shown below.
- After selecting ‘Verify Email’ you will be redirected to a page where you enter the code. Enter the verification code and select ‘Verify code’.
- If the code is submitted correctly, the user will be able to enter the database, and their username will be registered as validated. The user will now be able to use email-based 2FA.
Receiving the Verification Code
Once your email has been verified, the system will utilize this email for 2FA for future login attempts. A login screen will redirect you to your email, where you will receive a code to enter in the login screen.
Resending the Verification Email
Under the Verification code button, you can click on a button to resend the email if needed. After clicking on the button, it will be disabled for 10 seconds to prevent overuse:
Google Two-Factor Authentication
Steps and requirements
Once installed an Artlogic database Admin user will need to pair the app with your Artlogic database user/s account by turning on two-factor authentication in the edit screen of each user record and scanning the QR Code with the Google Authenticator app.
To do this, the Admin user must log in to your database and go to Other > Admin > Users > choose the account you want to edit by clicking the 'pencil edit' icon > then select 'Set up an authenticator device' and follow the pairing instructions.
Using the Authenticator app to login
Once the above steps have been completed, every time the user attempts to log in to the Artlogic database, they will need to open the Authenticator app, select 'Artlogic Online', and then the app will produce a six-digit code. The will need to be entered into the Artlogic database login screen upon signing in.
This will ensure that only the person using the paired smartphone or tablet may log in to this user account.
Google 2FA code not working
Click here to read the most common app two-factor authentication problems.
Switching 2FA methods
Admin users switching 2FA methods
- Go to Other > Admin > Users.
- Click on the pencil edit icon next to the user to edit their settings.
- Under 'Two-factor authentication', choose your preferred 2FA method and select ‘Save’.
Individual users switching 2FA methods
- Go to ‘Passwords & Security > Two-factor authentication’ from the Users menu.
- Choose your preferred 2FA method and select ‘Update’.
If you require further assistance with two-factor authentication, please reach out to us.