We have recently released a beta feature for Canadian clients which allows sales tax to be automatically calculated and charged as required for each Canadian province.
If you’re interested in using this beta feature, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How does this feature work?
This feature uses TaxJar, a third-party tax calculation software, to apply the correct tax rate when checking out from your store and shipping from one Canadian province to another.
- Get in touch with us to ask us to enable the feature for you.
- Log in to your website CMS > Settings > Online Sales Setup > VAT Rates. Here, disable 'Include VAT in listed price', as these rates will change according to the province. Turning this off will ensure that the VAT-included price does not display on the website, as the VAT-included rate will vary based on Canadian province.
- Once this is done, go to CMS > Admin > Store > Shipping to create a new shipping zone.
- Create a shipping zone for Canada if you have not done so already.
- Make sure this zone is tax enabled.
- Finally, run a test transaction to make sure all works as expected. When testing, select the 'shipping country' as Canada, you will then be able to select individual Canadian provinces and sales tax will be charged accordingly.
Please note: The calculated tax rate will override the default rate that is set in the CMS, as well as any rate set in the artwork record for our integrated clients.